Top 5 Fire Safety Tips
Most fires in the home start accidentally. So, keeping your home safe from the risk of fire is essential. Follow these top tips to help reduce the risks.
- Have a working smoke alarm fitted on each level of the property. If a fire starts, this will give you and your family time to get to safety.
- Close all doors overnight. Doors slow down the spread of potentially deadly smoke and flames.
- Fire often starts in the kitchen. Cookers should never be left unattended while in use.
- Keep lit candles away from children and pets, curtains and all other flammable materials.
- No refuse bags, combustible materials or items of furniture should be stored in common areas such as stairways, corridors or drying rooms. Keeping these areas clear will protect escape routes and reduce the risk of deliberate fires.
For information on keeping households safe contact Scottish Fire and Rescue Service
lpm Doing it the right way